Wednesday, November 6, 2013



(cute isn't it? lol)


Words usable in common Speech:
So today I was looking for words I could work into common dialog, even if I had to end up explaining them later. Here's a bit of what I found:

Eke - the archaic meaning is also. but it also means manage to support oneself or make a living with difficulty.
"they eked out their livelihoods from the soil"make an amount or supply of something last longer by using or consuming it frugally. "the remains of yesterday's stew could be eked out to make another meal
(taken from google). Gotta love when a word has more than one meaning :3

(Usually I try to find an image that uses the word properly or is funny but there's pretty much nothing on eke except the definition or the other meaning of eke. Even finding this pic was hard. That said, I'll still use it :D)


Erewhile - means in the past, a while ago, before...etc. this could be thrown into modern conversation easily. "Erewhile, there were no shower curtains here."

(might I add that I have only the faintest clue of what Keats is saying here)


Fain - its sort of like "i would love to" or "i would be delighted"....  It has to be accompanied by was, would, were..etc. "I would fain some ice cream right now."



Nary - not or never. it could be substitute for "not even a ..."
"there was nary a complaint from him."



Nowise - in no way/not at all."I am nowise shorter than her."



Quoth - said. its past tense of quethen: to say. Its only used in first or third person.
"He quoth, that she quoth, that she was hungry."



Soothly/in sooth - means truly or in truth. You may have heard the word "Soothsayer" which means fortune teller. Anyhow I can see myself saying "in sooth" alot.



BONUS WORD!: Sweven - it sounds like "sway van." It means dream or vision.



No comments:

Post a Comment