Monday, November 4, 2013

So this time I want to list a couple of exclamations or old dusty curse words that don't even sound like curse words anymore...etc.


Blimey - It's still in use by the British but its considered archaic or at least unusual for Americans. It stems from the phrase "God Blind Me." eek...who would want to say such a thing? I'm sure people who use it don't wish to be blind. Anyhow, its just like Damn, gosh, sheesh, jeez...yeah all that stuff.



Golly - its a euphemism of "God" but isn't always funny? I like this one for sarcasm.



Oh, Dear - I think i use this one without even thinking, along with words like dearest and darling....usually I can only get by with them if its sarcastic though lol.



Woe Is Me - I use this one alot too, it basically means poor me.



Side Note: it seems alot of old exclamations are still current.

Avast! - this is so cool to me because my virus protection is Avast and i didn't even know it meant halt/stop. I can see myself using this in the future. Me likey :3



Ahoy/Oy - used to get someones attention. Its like "Hey you!"



Voila - again, old but still in use. It means something like "there it is" or "like magic" Basically stolen French. Still, I love using this one :3



Cretin - used to call someone stupid. It's derived from human being i latin "Christanus" to christian in swiss-french "christin" to "cretin." pretty surprising evolution. Its interesting because, i could have sworn I've heard my mom use this word lol. Idk who she was calling a Cretin but i remember it being funny.



Alas - when something is unfortunate, weary, or pitiful. I always thought Alas was a shorter form of "At Last" but i guess it isn't. "Alas, my funds are few." (btw alas means wings in Spanish no connection but I just thought about it.)



Dimwit - another one that is used to call someone stupid. The interesting thing is, even though this one is super old, it is used more now than it was in the past.




Ignoramus - we all probably know this one. Its an ignorant or stupid person. The word is derived from latin and originally meant "ignore" or "we do not know." What i like about this word is that everyone knows it but they will still be impressed if you use it :3 awesome~




Dolt - you can see my trend here...but can you ever have enough ways to call someone stupid? Its fun right? lol anyway this one has been used relitively consistently throughout time. its meaning is derived from the words "Dull" and/or "Dulled." "Dulled" makes the most sense. If dulled is pronounced as "dult" its easy to see the transition to "Dolt."


Forsooth! - means Indeed, it's used to express surprise or indignation. Theres alot of memes about this one :3 I'm glad to see some archaic words being dusted off and put to use. Its mostly used for humor or to express the irony of a situation.






No comments:

Post a Comment